Categories & rules of entry 2015
• Entry for the 2015 awards opens
17th September 2014
• Early entry discounts for the 2015 awards finishes at midnight on the 31st October 2014.
• Entry for the 2015 awards closes at midnight on Sunday 7th December 2014
• Judging will be in early February 2015.
• The shortlist will be published in mid February 2015.
• The presentation of the awards will be on 22nd April 2015.
• The Awards will be showcased at FreeFrom Food Europe in June 2014/15 and at the Allergy & Freefrom Show at Olympia in July 2014/15 and in Liverpool in October 2014/15.
• For rules of entry see below.
• Entry fees
£125 + VAT per product; £75 + VAT per product if you have 3 or fewer employees
10% discount on fully completed entry forms received before 31st October 2014
Entering the awards entitles each entering brand to one free ticket to the awards presentation party in March 2015.
• Nota Bene
10% of all entry fees will be donated to the Awards' charity of the year, FoodCycle. If you would care to match our donation please add £12.50 / £7.50 to your payment for each entry and we will pass it forward to FoodCycle.
For an entry form email: email@example.com
To qualify for entry to the FreeFrom Food Awards, all entries must be free of at least one of the main major allergens – wheat/gluten, dairy, eggs, nuts, soya and sulphites.
The overall winner of the FAIR trophy for the Best FreeFrom Food 2015 will be drawn from the winners of the categories below.
We will award a winner and two commended/highly commendeds in each category.
Innovation Award • NEW • for 2015
This year the Innovation Award this year will focus on manufacturers who drive the development of freefrom on the high street. The judges will therefore be looking for instances of exciting technical innovation in freefrom food manufacture.
Sponsored for 2015 by Food Matters Live
Retailer of the Year • NEW• for 2015
Awarded to the supermarket whose own brand freefrom products do best in the 2015 awards. Please see below for more details.
Sponsored for 2015 by Oakland International
Sponsored for 2015 by Tesco
A very successful category in 2014, Breakfast includes all of those delicious freefrom products which set you up for the day:
- Breakfast cereals
- Breakfast baked goods
- Animal & plant milks, yogurts and spreads
We will award winner, highly commended and commended certificates in each subsection.
Sponsored for 2015 by Genius Gluten Free
Whole loaves and sliced breads, rolls etc only.
Breakfast breads, croissants etc will be put into Category 1, Breakfast; sweet breads, tea breads etc into Category 12, TeaTime.
3. Store cupboard
Sponsored for 2015 by Sainsbury's
Any store cupboard item, ambient, dried, or frozen, excluding pasta and pizza bases but including bread and cake mixes. Depending on entries we may subdivide this category and award individual or joint winner, highly commended and commended awards.
- mixes – cakes, breads etc
- sugar alternatives
- miscellaneous – Yorkshire puddings/mixes, flours, sugar replacement, xanthan gum etc
4. Pasta and pizza
Sponsored for 2015 by Integrated Food Projects Limited
A vital part of any freefrom diet!
- Fresh and dried pastas
- Filled pasta
- Pizza bases and complete pizzas
5. Raw foods and SuperfoodsSponsored for 2015 by Tiana Fair Trade Organics
An exciting category which can include anything from coconut oil to raw banoffee pie or superfood truffles!
6. ‘Food to go’ and food for vending machines
Sponsored for 2015 by the Food and Drink Innovation Network
A new and very well supported category in 2014 – and a rapidly growing category in freefrom. We look forward to some exciting entries.
7. • NEW • 'Down the Pub and the Bar'
Sponsored for 2015 by Udi's
All you could want on a Saturday afternoon down at the pub – or on a Saturday evening at that rather more up-market bar!
- Gluten-free beers
- Low sulphite wines
- Savoury snacks
We will award winner, highly commended and commended certificates in each subsection.
8. • NEW • 'Meaty' and 'fishy' ready-meals
Sponsored for 2015 by Genon Laboratories
Burgers, sausages, pies, pasties, soups and one-pot meals! Any meal that you can take out of the freezer, the fridge or the store cupboard – then heat up and enjoy in front of the telly!
9. • NEW • 'Veggie' ready-meals
Sponsored for 2015 by Goodness Direct
Burgers, sausages, pies, pasties, soups and one-pot meals! Any veggie meal that you can take out of the freezer, the fridge or the store cupboard – then heat up and enjoy in front of the telly!
10. Foods suitable for peanut and tree-nut allergics
Sponsored for 2015 by Wellaby's
An important category, especially for that 7% of children now diagnosed with peanut allergy.
11. Foods designed for childrenSponsored for 2015 by Delamere Dairy
An extremely popular category, run for us each year by nutritionist Christine Bailey and judged by a very enthusiastic team of 8 – 16-year-olds!
This year we will also have a subcategory for baby foods. However, these will be judged purely on their nutritional
content since we are not confident of being able to find totally objective babies as judges!
12. • NEW • Tea Time!
Sponsored for 2015 by Mrs Crimbles
All of those delicious scones, crumpets, biscuits, cookies, brownies, cake bars, seasonal cakes and celebration cakes!
Depending on the number of entries, this category may be subdivided in which case winners, highly commended and commendeds will be awarded in each section.
13. • NEW • Dessert and puddings
Sponsored for 2015 by Romer Labs UK
Any and every kind of dessert and pudding from Sticky toffee pudding to coconut ice cream, including seasonal desserts – such as Christmas pud!
14. • NEW • Confectionery – chocolate and sweets
Sponsored for 2015 by Free-From Heaven
Everyday chocolate bars and chocolates, candy bars and candies, gift confectionery, seasonal confectionery (Christmas and Easter), low sugar/sugar free confectionery and any other sort of 'freefrom' confectionery that we have not thought of!
15. • NEW • Bars....
Sponsored for 2015 by Holland & Barrett
An essential item in every school lunch box,
brief case, handbag and sports bag these days...
FreeFrom cereal bars, fruit bars, energy bars, nut bars, protein bars, grain free bars, raw bars, superfood bars and, no doubt, many more!
Retailer of the Year Award
1. The award will only be open to
'own label' free from products from major retailers.
2. The award will be given
to the retailer whose products score the highest marks (see below) in all the other categories in the awards.
Products will only be eligible for this award if they have been shortlisted, commended, highly commended or if they have won a category.
3. The award will be given on a points basis:
- Shortlisted products score 1 point
- Commended products score 2 points
- Highly commended products score 3 points
- Category winners score 4 points
The retailer that scores the highest number of points wins the award, the retailers with the next highest number of points will get runners-up awards.
Rules of entry
- All products must be available for sale across the UK (in retail outlets or by mail order) by the publication of the shortlist or by 01/03/2015, whichever is later. A valid UK website from which products can be bought must be supplied.
- Samples submitted must be production products on sale to the public and not pre-production samples.
- Samples must be submitted in the packaging in which they are to be sold.
- The organisers take the product/freefrom labelling and any accompanying information at face value and assume that the supplier can justify all claims. If anything needs clarification the organisers reserve the right to ask for more information.
- Companies may enter as many products in as many categories as they wish.
- Own label products may be entered either by retailers or manufacturers but only retailers/own-brand names will be credited with the entry for allocation of Awards tickets.
- Only specific products, not ranges, will be accepted as entries.
- Products previously entered into the FreeFrom Food Awards are eligible for
- A product form and payment, purchase order or other arrangement for payment must accompany each product. Any product for which the entry fee has not been received by the publication of the shortlist will forfeit its entry into the awards. We only need one entry sheet per company.
- Entries will only be accepted when all sections of the entry forms have been completed in full.
- Entrants will be asked to submit tasting samples. Details of where, when and how much to send will be provided after entry to the awards has closed.
- All samples must be received by the deadline specified or the product will forfeit its entry into the Awards and its entry fee.
- The organisers will prepare products for tasting according to the printed instructions on the packs in which the products are sold.
- The organisers reserve the right to change the categories and organisational details without prior notice.
- The organisers reserve the right to accept or reject entries.
- The decision of the judging panel is final and the FreeFrom Food Awards will not enter into any correspondence about the judges’ decisions.
- It is a condition of entry that all entrants will be bound by these rules.
If you have any queries or would like to talk to us about the project email Michelle or Cressida or call on (44) 20 7722 2866.